Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blog Post #10

We all have different identities throughout our week. For me, they are constantly shifting to suit my surroundings. I would say my main roles are friend, daughter, sister, girlfriend, student, waitress, and co-worker. 

I have just gotten this job at a newer restaurant and I really want to make a good impression. I've only been working here for about a month and I try my best to be the most polite and efficient waitress I can be. Obviously, I'm not going to act the way I do at home towards my tables. They want someone to take care of their needs first and maybe entertain them as well. I am still a little shy at my new job because I am still getting a feel for everyone's personalities and how the restaurant runs. I always show up to work in a good mood and try my best to speak to every table and co-worker with the same happy disposition.

At home, I am a daughter, sister, and girlfriend. This is where I feel the most comfortable, with my family. I can say anything to my family and boyfriend. They love me just as I am and I have never felt the need to censor much of anything or change my mood for them. If I'm upset, they know; if I'm happy, they know.

As a friend, I feel as though I am different around each group. One of my friends has a six-month old son. When I spend time with her we usually just lay low and spend time with the baby. My childless friends prefer to go out to restaurants and stay up fairly late. 

As a student, I want to finish my degree as soon as I possibly can. I changed my major a while ago and I set myself back a year or so. I'm usually all business when I'm on campus. I come to class, participate, and go back to Chesapeake to do homework and go to sleep. I used to be more concerned with meeting new people and having fun on campus, but I have gotten a lot more focused the last couple years.

Technology definitely influences my personas throughout the week. I feel like my computer really helps me to focus on my schoolwork throughout my school day. I usually do my homework during my breaks and I am able to see emails from professors so much quicker with my blackberry. My phone helps me keep in touch with family and friends throughout my week. I'm not sure if I could say that television really influences me, just because I hardly have time to watch it. 

I think just about everyone can say that their cultural environment affects the way they act and talk throughout the day. I really can't think of any everyday specific examples, but when I spend time with my family from Wisconsin I end up speaking as though I never left the dairy state for days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment